A new research claims that drugs needed for insomnia and allergies in the drugs trading are not very safe as you think. As evidence we can enclose the fact that these drugs in their composition have anticholinergic drugs. They are also known as a part of many popular pills like: Dramamine, Advil PM, Benadryl, and Unison. These anticholinergic effects are found in the antidepressant medicine Paxil and pain reliever Demerol as well.
Evidence of Drugs Linked to Dementia
The connection between cognitive deterioration and anticholinergic drugs is not for the first time revealed but is the most authentic one. Researches detected the influence of the anticholinergic drugs on our brain by using brain visualization. This imaging made by MRI and PET scan proves the impact on people’s mental health. As an example would be the higher brain atrophy and lower glucose brain metabolism, as well as low-scored memory tests.
The scientists also found that the constant use of hay fever medicines and anticholinergic sleeping pills can have great impact on higher level of risk from dementia. But result of being at risk taking this meds is proved only from people using it during the period of 3 or more years. But this is not the end of the research because it is not confirmed whether the risk is more dangerous over using it longer.
Another medicine with anticholinergic effect consists of tiotropium which is used for the treatment of respiratory conditions like asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. What other anticholinergic drug consist of are Paxil used for depression and drugs which contain solifenacin like Vesicare for overactive bladder conditions.
Natural Remedies for Allergies & Insomnia
In case that the anticholinergic drugs are already prescribed for you by your doctor you should be warned that you cannot stop using them all of a sudden. But, there is another way of possible treatment for insomnia and allergies without the medical advice or the over-the-counter drugs. Look at these natural remedies and try some of them.
– Essential oils are of great help for the allergy problems. A recent study recommends using peppermint oil since the effects it gives are very beneficial for the respiration. It exhibits and relaxes the antispasmodic activity preventing contractions which make you cough. Be careful because it is not recommended for children under 3 months.
– If you suffer from ragweed allergy, try to avoid bananas, melons, cucumbers, chamomile, echinacea and sunflower seeds because of their ability to provoke an allergy response.
– Beef, chicken or lamb bone broth helps with respiratory problems. It is also good for boosting immunity and reducing inflammation from your body.
– As a natural sleep remedy use valerian root because of his lower risk of side effects.
– If you set your temperature to 60 or 70 degrees F, you will feel sleepy immediately as the body temperature lowers.
– Eat food that include melatonin and which cause sleepiness like cherries, bananas, radishes or ginger as a snack before bed.
Final Thoughts on Over-the-Counter Drugs and Dementia Risk
Finally, talk to your doctor about your medicines, whether you should stop using them if they include some of the drugs mentioned above. Try using other more natural alternatives with low or no side effects at all since your mental health is very important.